I’ll complete the 15 day Atheist challenge in one post. Why ? Because I can and because I’m totally bored right now.
1. At what point did you know you were an atheist? Why did you become one, what were the factors leading up to the decision, if you weren’t always one?
I dismissed the idea of a grand designer and religious dogma very early in my childhood. I was probably around 10. The whole idea of God and religion never made any sense to me with all the science around me that gave me facts and explanations not just lazy ones like “God did that.”, “Because God wants that to be like that.” etc…
2. What religion did you grow up with? Did you have positive or negative experiences with religion?
I grew up in a Muslim home. My family was one of those passive Muslims that don’t really go to a mosque or something but they did value Muslim traditions and celebrated holidays. Yes, religious fanaticism and hypocrisy was and is all around me in the country I live in and that annoys me very much.
3. Are you a more outspoken or more apathetic atheist? Why?
Let’s just say I’m highly outspoken and always try to point out that I’m an atheist when meeting new people. Why ? Because being an atheist is something you should be proud of.
4. Do you think religion is obsolete and should be wiped completely off the face of the Earth, or does some good come out of it?
No good comes from lies. Religion makes people feel better about themselves and their problems with lies. It’s like you are very ill and need treatment but the only thing your doctor does is to convince you that you are going to be just fine and gives you sugar pills. Religion should be wiped completely off the face of the Earth. It is obsolete and no good comes from it.
5. Did you lose any friends because you decided to be an atheist? Did your family flip out?
Well of course I did. Religion is to most people in my country the most important thing in their lives. I am saying that those holy books and their gods are bullshit. They are offended by that and don’t like me… but I’d rather be alone and seeing things the way they are than to be in some mosque or church reading fairy tales and lying to myself. No my family is mostly OK with it.
6. How do you feel about so-called “militant atheists” such as Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris?
You have just named three people I hold in the highest regard. Especially Dawkins.
7. Except for God, do you believe in anything supernatural or pseudoscientific? (Ghosts, alien abductions, spirits, souls, demons, psychics, magic, Harry Potter, etc.)
As Stephen Hawking once said (paraphrasing) “My mathematical brain doesn’t allow me to think that we are the only intelligent life forms in a enormous universe.” The probabilty of alien life existing is high, but I don’t think we made contact yet or that we are even close. I don’t believe in anything supernatural or pseudoscientific.
8.What’s your political alignment? Does your atheism influence how you vote and how you feel on issues?
I don’t really care much about politics… as long as I live in a democracy where I have freedom of speech and thought and the ability to get a good education. If there was an Atheist party in my country I wouldn’t just vote for them… I would join them.
9. Even though you’re an atheist, have you ever experienced a moment that could be called “religious?” Like an epiphany about the world or complete peace?
10. Are you spiritual, or are your feet always on the ground?
Neither. I’m not spiritual and my feet are right now on my coffee table.
11. Do you have/plan on having a career in the sciences? Alternatively: which branch of science intrigues you most?
I plan on having a career in Medicine.
12. What happens when we die? Do you fear death?
My body shuts down and the rotting process begins… to answer short I cease to exist. Why should I fear death ? I wasn’t existing for trillions of years. Sure as hell didn’t bother me then.
13. Would you ever date/marry somebody who follows a religion ?
Short answer : NO.
14. On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with life at this moment, and why?
I have a great education and get great grades, I’m happily in love and i grade my life 9. It would’ve been a 10 if it weren’t for all those religious folk around me.
15. Recommend a book. :) (Doesn’t have to be relevant to atheism, just any good book.)
Read some holy books. Always funny.
— Richard Dawkins
I do not believe in God. (via mintcakemistakes)